PrimeFilm 1800u Film Scanner
The drivers on the enclosed CD don’t work in Windows 10.
I had a nosey around online and found this post on the Microsoft Forum where Jack Moorhouse gave some excellent advice (copied below for safety):
- Google “How to install unsigned drivers on Windows 10 - By TotallydubbedHD” and follow instructions
- Download & run the installer for the slide viewer (SF_ENG_1.3.exe) which is for windows up to 7. I ran it in vista sp2 compatibility mode.AT THIS POINT IT STILL DOESN’T WORK
- Go to control panel -> device manager ->imaging devices and update the driver for the slide viewer from the folder c:\windows\Twain_32\cyberviewX_SF
I’ll tweak the above to what worked for me:
- I found the advised instructions by TotallydubbedHD on YouTube video link
- I downloaded the drivers from this website selecting “Driver/Firmware” > “Film Scanners” > “PrimeFilm 1800u/i & 1800 Silver-DISCONTINUED” and then after searching, downloading the Windows driver.
- I then installed the drivers - I didn’t have to run in compatibility mode as it seemed to cope just fine. However, in Device Manager, it said the drivers hadn’t been loaded as they weren’t signed.
- I followed the TotallydubbedHD advice at this point.
- Once I rebooted (after the instructions), I chose to update the driver (via Device Manager) and it installed fine.
The only problem I had was with the ButtonKey software - I had to run it as Administrator for it to save the settings (I suspect it’s the classic issue where legacy programs are written to save to the registry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and non-Administrator accounts can’t write to this location in Windows Vista and newer). It does work fine through Photoshop though, and the images are scanning in just fine!